This Douro Valley winery tour, led by wine writer James Mayor, offers a glimpse of why the Douro is often considered by experts as one of the world’s foremost wine regions, today producing wines that rival the best.
On this private Douro wine tour you will:
✔️ visit two of the finest wine properties in the Douro: Quinta do Bomfim and Wine & Soul
✔️ learn about winemaking traditions and innovations in the Douro Valley, the world’s largest
mountain vineyard with a multitude of exceptional terroirs
✔️ taste award-winning Douro wines and Ports from two leading wineries
✔️ savor Portuguese culinary delicacies during a picnic lunch
Our Douro Valley winery tour begins with a breathtaking drive down the Pinhao Valley to Quinta do Bomfim, the flagship property of the Symington Family Estates. This influential Scottish-English-Portuguese family has been making Port since the 1600s, yet they are always evolving: organic vineyards, new production methods and wine types. A winery visit and tasting is followed by a picnic lunch, supplied by the Quinta, with wonderful views of the vineyards and the River Douro.
After a gentle post-lunch stroll, we’ll head to Wine & Soul, a boutique winery owned by a talented Portuguese couple determined to flip Douro wine production on its head. Consistent international award winners and an unconventional philosophy, this intimate scale winery in a particularly beautiful part of the Valley, is a privileged visit.
This Douro Valley winery tour ends with another gorgeous drive back along the River Douro and through the Marão mountains.
- Facemasks, gloves and sanitiser gel
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel in Porto
- Safe, private transportation in comfortable, air-conditioned SUV
- Lunch and two wine tastings
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age 18
- This is a private tour/activity, only you and yours will participate
- If you are vegetarian, please tell us when you book your tour
What do I need to bring?
- We provide masks, but please bring your favourite mask if you wish
- Please bring a comfortable pair of shoes for walking in the vineyards
- A hat, sunglasses, and sun protection are also essential most of the year
- It is a good idea to bring a sweater or light jacket and scarf for spring or fall evenings, as well as a waterproof jacket, season dependent
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 2 days or less before the event
Day tour / activity
Booking in advance
Cut off: 1 day
Know before you go
Minimum age of passengers is: 18
Cultural and theme tours, Arts / culture, Day trips and excursions, Private experience, Adults only, Couples, Indoor, Outdoor
Live tour guide
Quinta do Bomfim
We will visit Quinta do Bomfim, the flagship property of Symington Family Estates, overlooking the River Douro. We will visit the winery, taste a selection of wines and eat a picnic supplied by the Symingtons.
Wine & Soul
We will visit Wine & Soul, one of the Douro’s most outstanding boutique wineries, led by a talented Portuguese couple.
Note: Pick-up starts 10 minute(s) before departure.
We offer pick-up to the following places for this experience: